Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Solution #4 - Lead by example and share that example with others!

Often people in our society and in politics like to talk about how they want the world to look, but don't make an effort to live that life.

I propose that we be the change we want to see (thanks Ghandi, best quote ever!) and become living examples of how we want our lives to be. This is easier said than done.  In order for us to do this, it will take personal sacrifice, and a lot of will.  A simple example of this would be that I want more gardens in Calgary, so I help to build more.  I preach about loving yourself, and so I do the best to love myself.  I don't like waste, so I compost, reuse and recycle when ever possible.  These may seem like small things, but they do make a difference. Now, what about the big ones?  Like changing our economic system?  At this time I do not see it possible to live completely without money, but I would eventually love to see a moneyless or almost moneyless economy. Although I don't see how I can completely live with out money at this moment, I am taking steps towards this by introducing barters and trades and taking part in gift circles, also finding ways not to spend money by owning less material items or finding items that would other wise be tossed away and using them.  It isn't always easy to make these choices, but I want to see the change.  Although I am far from perfect and I am sure sometimes contribute to the current problems, I am trying damn hard not to.  I know all of you can try too and I know you will all succeed, even if it isn't perfect right away! I can tell you right now, it will not happen over night, but it also wont happen if we just talk about it, or keep the examples tucked away in our little communities.

Something really interesting that has happened at the occupation in Calgary (and I am sure at the other occupations) is that we have been able to create an amazing example of what we want our community to be like.  A community of openness, respect, care, love and acceptance. The next step is just to bring this to the people and show them what our community can really be, what our world can really be!

Please please please, start living the life you want, it may be hard to see how this can be done, but start with the baby steps and work your way up the ladder to your vision.  Then share this with the world around you!  Let people know that even the smallest steps and examples can help us to become a better world through living the life we want to see.  The sacrifices might seem hard sometimes, but once you have made them, it becomes easier and easier as you can see your life become more and more like the one you dream of.

We all want a better world, now go out there and get it!

2 comments:

  1. this is a really good post. something I am working to encourage a trade system is a clothing swap. I am quite excited. I feel that this may encourage others into the idea of swapping and finding others junk and turning into their treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ian, this is a great idea and a perfect way to show an example of how we can work toward change! :)

    ReplyDelete